Thirty, Flirty and Thriving

Well not quite flirty but I just turned thirty and it's going to be a great year because I have a list of 30 awesome things to accomplish. Throughout the year I will be updating this blog as I accomplish each item on my list.

Saturday, June 15, 2013

20. Plan a Vacation to Somewhere I Have Never Been


I'm going to Germany! I have wanted to go to Germany for several years now to see where my Grandma and her family came from so I am really excited about this opportunity. I have written a bit about my desire to go to Germany in a previous blog post where I read a new book. In my gratitude blog, I also have a post where I shared my gratitude for my German heritage.

I have been to several places where my ancestors have lived including Scotland, England and Manitoba (where my German Russian ancestors immigrated to) and soon I will be able to add Germany to that list. I leave September 28 so I have some time to make plans of what I want to do and see. I would also like to do some more genealogy research on that side of the family in the meantime. I actually had a really cool experience when researching this line that I also wrote about in my gratitude blog in the post miracles of family history.

My plans currently include visiting with my Mom's cousins and their families in Bremen and Nordenham as well as a Great Aunt. I will be travelling with some of the family to what is now Klodzko, Poland where the family lived before the war when it was Eisersdorf, Germany (Glatz). I also plan to spend a couple of days in Frankfurt before heading back home to do some sightseeing and go to the temple there. I am currently on the wait list to stay at the accommodations by the temple which would be fun and much cheaper than a hotel.

Ich muss Deutsch lernen (I need to learn German). I got that translation from Google translator. It will probably be a good idea to invest in an English/German dictionary. Although, I do know a few words like good morning, good night, and good day/ hello, I love you, welcome.

I am really excited to plan my trip! 

2 comments:

  1. Jealous!! Post lots of pictures! Make sure you stop by a few cathedrals. When I was in London I couldn't get enough of Cathedrals and would love to see the ones on the continent. My nerdy hobby I guess. Someday we should go together! I love genealogy and have some German ancestry. (though not a lot) My husband never saw so many dead people in his life when he traveled with me to London!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I loved seeing the old churches in England and Scotland as well. I will be sure to post lots of photos. Also, I will have to check out your genealogy blog again. :)

      Delete