Thirty, Flirty and Thriving

Well not quite flirty but I just turned thirty and it's going to be a great year because I have a list of 30 awesome things to accomplish. Throughout the year I will be updating this blog as I accomplish each item on my list.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

15. Go to an LDS Temple I Have Not Been to Before

While compiling my list I thought of some of my favourite things to do and one that came to mind was going to the temple. I love the feeling of peace that is found in the temple and an understanding of Heavenly Fathers plan for all of his children.  

I have currently been inside 11 of the 141 operating temples worldwide: Vancouver, BC; Cardston, Alberta; Calgary, Alberta; Edmonton, Alberta; Seattle, Washington; Idaho Falls, Idaho; Salt Lake City, Utah; Jordan River, Utah; Bountiful, Utah; Preston, England and most recently Provo, Utah. I have also driven by or walked the grounds of others.  
Although each temple has the same purpose, I love how unique each one is in design and often reflect the landscape of the city it is located in.

I am grateful to have had the opportunity last week to attend a session at the Provo, Utah temple with my twin sister. I have been to Utah quite a few times and stayed in Provo each time except for one (When Melissa got married, we stayed at a hotel in Salt Lake) and was surprised that I had not made it to the temple there before now.
As we walked up to the temple from the parking lot I took a moment to take in the beauty of the temple, the mountains in the background and the sun beginning to set. Temples are built to be beautiful both on the outside and inside; we see temples as a House of God, A place of learning, a place of peace and a sanctuary from the world. Members of the church believe that temples are the holiest places on earth, engraved on the outside of each temple are the words “Holiness to the Lord”.

With General Conference coming up, I am excited to learn if there will be any more temples announced.

Have you ever wondered why Mormons build temples? Here is a great video that explains why. 

No comments:

Post a Comment