Thirty, Flirty and Thriving

Well not quite flirty but I just turned thirty and it's going to be a great year because I have a list of 30 awesome things to accomplish. Throughout the year I will be updating this blog as I accomplish each item on my list.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

14. Go Roller Skating!

Last night I got back from spending a week and a half in Utah and the weekend in Lethbridge. I had a lot of fun spending time with my family in Utah and friends in Lethbridge, which included checking a few things off my list. The first one was roller skating.  Going roller skating was one of my favourite things to do as a child with my siblings and Dad. It was good to relive the “good old days” but this time we included the younger generation: my 13 year-old sister and 7, 5, and 2 year old nieces.

We all chose to rent the traditional roller skates except for my brother who chose rollerblades instead. Before my brother stepped on the rink, he turned to me and said “I am way better than anyone else on here”. I laughed both at his pride and in knowing that he was right which I’m sure comes from many years of playing roller hockey.
It had been a few years since I had gone roller skating but I thought that with spending a winter ice skating, roller skating would be a breeze. I soon realized that it is quite different. However, after a couple of times around the rink I felt I had a good handle on it. It really was a blast! My little nieces also seemed to enjoy skating with some help from the adults and the walker-style things to hold on to. Well, I am not sure about 2-year old Miriam, she didn’t seem to like it too much.

It has become harder and harder to find public roller skating rinks; the one I went to in my youth, Stardust, closed down in 2005 and I recently learned that the one I went to a few years ago in Edmonton, Sportsworld, has also closed down. Although, from their facebook page it seems like they are looking for a new building. I was excited when my sister found a roller skating rink in Orem Utah at Classic Fun Center. Better yet, it was $1 Thursday which meant $1 Skate rentals and $1/hour to skate, can’t beat that deal!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment