Thirty, Flirty and Thriving

Well not quite flirty but I just turned thirty and it's going to be a great year because I have a list of 30 awesome things to accomplish. Throughout the year I will be updating this blog as I accomplish each item on my list.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

6. Ask someone on a date

When I was putting together my list of 30 things I asked some friends, family members and co-workers for suggestions. Almost everyone said “get married” but I wanted the things on my list to be things I had control over so that “goal” is not on this list. A few people then suggested I include “Ask someone on a date”, I decided that would be a good goal to have as it is something that allows me to step out of my comfort zone a bit.

I am pretty traditional when it comes to going on dates. I like it when a guy asks me on a date and I like it when he comes to pick me up and walks me to the door when he drops me off. I also like it when he plans the first date and pays for it (if there is a cost). I think most girls want a guy who they feel will be able to take care of them and when he is willing to take the initiative to ask you out, plan a date and pay for it he is showing that he is willing to take care of you. However, I do prefer dates that don’t cost a lot, especially if it is a first date.
The only times I have asked someone on a date is during the Preference Dance that the Young Single Adult program of my church has once a year. The Preference Dance is a dance where girls are to ask a guy on a date and bring him to the dance with them. Because it is expected that girls ask a guy on a date for that evening it does make it easier to ask someone. I decided that preference this year would be the best opportunity I have to accomplish this goal on my list, so I did. :)

I have gone to preference several times. The first one I went on was a double date with my twin and most after then were group dates with friends. My current roommates weren’t able to go this year so I was on my own but I was ok with that.
I really tried to put myself in the “asking/planning” mode of going on a date and I do feel that I have a greater appreciation for this “role”.  This was also my first time going on a preference date where I had a car so I decided that I should probably pick him up and drive to our destinations. I wanted something a little more low-key and planned to have some dessert at Block 1912 on Whyte Ave and then head over to the dance. I think the date went well; he was a fun guy to go with.

He asked me if it was ok if he paid for the dessert so I let him. He later told me that he is also pretty traditional when it comes to going on a date which is why he wanted to pay. It was also funny to hear about his interpretation of being on the “other side” and waiting to be picked up.
I do think it is a good experience to be on the other side every now and then but for now I am going to sit back and wait for guys to ask me out.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you got to go on a date with great guy! How sweet of him to ask if he could pay.

    ReplyDelete